The goals of our lives often masquerade themselves in the form of personal accolades, esteemed outcomes, alluring destinations and athletic’s teaming victories. The word goal is a four letter word for some. An, ‘I couldn’t make without them’ for others and a definite ‘must’ in the world of sports.
In reviewing the book, Crash Course in Storytelling by Kendal Haven, the word “goals” again appears in the multitude of letter-combining words and phrases on the pages in front of me. What! Goals? This is storytelling, not personal achievement, corporate conquest or athletic management; or so I alluded myself into thinking. But goals . . reading on, yes, of course goals, how simple! Stories are teaming with mischievous, magical, overachieving, dimwitted, crazed and deviant goal setters. The plot thickens with murderous intent; romantic conquest, riches unlimited; savory meals and hilarious, dim-witted drudgery. Goals spear a story forward into the eventful, how, where, when or why accolades of story’s unpredictable journey. Goals often comprise story’s navigational force and fortitude.
A trip down folktale lane sites a few infamous goal setting quest-ers and outcome adventurers:
The Three Billy Goats Gruff (Norwegian Folktale)
- The grass is always greener across the bridge, if only that loud-mouthed goat-guzzling troll would step aside.
Little Snow-White (German Folktale)
- Seriously, four accounts of attempted murder against your own seven year old child?
- Wild boar organs with a dash of human never tasted so good.
The Emperor’s New Clothes (Denmark Literary Tale)
- Royally paid, nameless tailors sell the king on their cutting-edge, custom-designed, fabric-less new cloths.
- Less than royal street gawkers, wonder if they should enact legal precedence and have this royally acclaimed stripper arrested for inappropriate, flabby and pornographic exposure.
- The king’s choice to maintain his legally, royally approved presence while parading through town royally exposed.
Character’s goal setting and adventurous outcomes define story’s cankerous unfolding. Goals support listener navigation through the guided or misguided intentions of its outlandish characters. They further help us step into character’s devious, mischievous, dimwitted, outwitted goal spearing adventures which lie ahead. Story’s plot is then built around the struggle, humor, adventure and wisdom of our goal quest-er’s journey.
Until next time . . . Let Your Storyographer’s Journey Continue!